Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Quiet Life at Home

Maine - Interior View of a New England Homestead, Woman by the Fireplace








I dropped Amy (15) off at her youth group. The rural roads are quiet and peaceful. When I drove back into my driveway, I was grateful to see the beautiful image of my snow covered property. It is a place of serenity. It is my retreat and I love it here.

Inside, the rooms are dim. Our wood stove is blazing and warm. The kitchen is clean and neat and cozy. I am drinking hot tea and sitting in my favorite chair. I am covered with a blanket and reading a nice book.

Tonight I will do a Bible study with the children. Then they will have some free time before bed. We have a busy week coming up and it will take tremendous effort for me to remain peaceful and calm through it all.

Tomorrow I have some grocery shopping to do. I will have to make a menu and list. I love to look over my old cookbooks to get ideas. I was thinking about finding a way to make buttermilk biscuits in our tiny toaster oven.

I have cookbooks from the 1960's. They contain much more detailed information. Modern cookbooks give the impression that most housewives don't want to be bothered with baking or cooking from scratch. How sad!

I hope you have a lovely day!

blessings,
Mrs. White

0 comments: